Approximity blog home
10 of 903 articles

Choosing the right estimator   01 Sep 14
[print link all ]
Often the hardest part of solving a machine learning problem can be finding the right estimator for the job. Different estimators are better suited for different types of data and different problems. The flowchart below is designed to give users a bit of a rough guide on how to approach problems with regard to which estimators to try on your data.

mosh - mobile shell   01 Sep 14
[print link all ]
Remote terminal application that allows roaming, supports intermittent connectivity, and provides intelligent local echo and line editing of user keystrokes.

Mosh is a replacement for SSH. It’s more robust and responsive, especially over Wi-Fi, cellular, and long-distance links.

Mosh is free software, available for GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, and Android.

Keith Barron interview on kingworldnews   28 Aug 14
[print link all ]
We Are Now Living In A World That Is Teetering On The Brink

Do you want to bet a 22% chance on the DJIA or a 78% chance on gold?   27 Aug 14
[print link all ]
Prof Dr Tom Fischer updated his great gold charts.

In this chart, we once more have a look at the Dow:Gold ratio, but instead of trends let us consider frequencies. The chart below shows that, since 1885 and when measured in ounces of gold, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) was only in 22.1 % of all trading days more expensive than today (August 26, 2014). So, assuming that history is an appropriate guideline, the question to ponder is: Do you want to bet on a 22.1% chance (the DJIA), or on a 77.9% chance (gold)?

Enjoy the updated charts:

For all of us, sitting all day at the computer.   27 Aug 14
[print link all ]
Thanks to hermosa for the link.

Online learning will continue to explode   25 Aug 14
[print link all ]
.. and people will pick and chose whatever they need ..

For sure, folks need a decent base, but one you hace it, you are the chef cook for a life long learning.

Traditional universities will need to adjust, esp if they put the students into massive debt by the time they have finished.

Innovation is key, governments should rethink their spending on education on R&D.

Fake Economic Recovery Exposed With One Chart - Mike Maloney   25 Aug 14
[print link all ]

The Feyman Lectures on Physics   25 Aug 14
[print link all ]
online, free

Pippa Malgrem interview on kingworldnews   25 Aug 14
[print link all ]
As always, great interview. The way out is "innovation". I agree :-).

the interview:

Her latest book, called signals:

interview about the book

Your phone's gyroscope can be used to spy on you   25 Aug 14
[print link all ]
.. even record all you are doing ..

All scary.


powered by RubLog
10 of 903 articles Syndicate: full/short